How to do a term paper: crafting your thesis
A great thesis is the first building block of a great term paper. Getting the thesis written and perfected comes before any of the other parts of writing. The thesis is a statement that shows what you plan on either proving or disproving. It is essential to provide a claim of what your paper will be about.
Characteristics of a good thesis:
- It should neither be too narrow nor too broad.
- The thesis should be narrow enough to fully cover the subject matter in the scope of the term paper yet not so narrow that you aren’t able to find sufficient research and data to back up your claims
- An argumentative thesis should describe the reasons why something should be changed
- An analytical thesis should give a clear message as to what should be analyzed
- An explanatory thesis would identify whoever or whatever the subject is, and what you plan to explain about them
- It is specific and stated clearly
- It should identify the most important points which you want to establish in the body of the term paper
Where to look for thesis ideas:
- Notes you have taken in your class throughout the year
- Chapters in your textbook. Were there topics you would have liked to explore further? Were there issues you had specific questions about?
- Get ideas from your instructor if necessary.
- Look online for ideas that other students have used in the past; just be careful not to repeat anything. Your thesis should have a new twist if using an old topic.
- Current events; new research; newsworthy articles can all give you some ideas to build a thesis on.
How to write a great thesis
- Be willing to invest both time and effort into the thesis statement. It’s definitely worth it.
- The thesis should be declared at the beginning of the paper, preferably in the introduction. This makes it clear to the reader exactly what the paper will be all about and what direction it will take.
- Be bold in your thesis. Remember there are hundreds of other students competing for your teacher’s attention, and you want yours to be memorable and stand out.
- Stick to facts while at the same time opening a new window on the subject; explore a new perspective.
- Be specific; this is crucial. It will guide the writing of your paper so you don’t end up wandering off on a tangent.
Thank you for helping me out with my college essay - I was totally stuck and your guides and manuals assisted me with my writing.
My college term paper was a mess. I had to revise it several times. Finally, I stumbled upon this resource and found a sample term essay that guided my writing.
I highly recommend this student blog to anyone in need of professional essay writing help. These guys have written my dissertation in several weeks and it was approved. Thank you!
Academic writing manuals:
- 10 tips on MLA formatting
- Transformation of the church essay sample
- Selecting a writing service
- What to expect from top-grade papers
- Writing your college homework
- Good rewriting services
- Essay sample on business
- Write a Thesis Statement
- How to deal with your assignments
- Critical response sample essay
- Personal statement for college
- Research topics on leadership
- Expert business writing help
- Who can deal with your essay
- Research papers for sale
- 5 best places to buy a paper
- Composing an effective summary in 5 steps
- Sample essay on credit crisis
- Purchasing papers for cheap
- Discussion Section
- How to stay safe purchasing papers
- Forms of Happiness - sample paper
- Essay on school uniforms hints
- Creating a case study
- Why a Dissertation Writing Process Is So Hard?
- Writing essay-style term papers
- How to find a good PhD dissertation example online
- How to optimize a case study content
- Term papers examples are available Online
- Creating a great research project
- Writing term papers: think like a professor
- Graphic design research topics
- Perfect customized essays sources
- Salem Witch Trials - sample essay
- Academic writing agencies
- Composing a great persuasive paper
- Writing an essay overnight
- Essay sample on post anesthesia care
- Choosing intriguing research topics
- Writing a cause and effect essay
- Seeking sample book reviews online
- Where to find art paper proposal samples