The Salem Witch Trials
The Salem witch trials took place in the colonial Massachusetts back in 1692 through to 1693. In the process, over two hundred were accused of being witchcraft practitioners and doing the magic of darkness connected to the devil. This saw the execution of about twenty of them. Consequently, the colony agreed that the trials shouldn’t have been made and the families of the people who were convicted got compensation. From that time, the trials’ story has continued to be synonymous with injustice and paranoia and it has continued to captivate the common imagination for over three hundred years now.
The context and belief system
Inclination towards the supernaturally and most particularly in the practice of devil involved in giving some humans commonly known as witches, the power to cause harm to others in favor of their royalty started in Europe back in the fourteenth century and further spread to colonial New England through immigration of people into the land with such origins. Additionally, the harsh life conditions in the local Puritan society in Salem Village, now Danvers in Massachusetts at a period that was characterized by the effects that came following the British war against France in 1689 and fears from war attacks created a lot of enmity with the affluent Salem town community.
How it happened
These infamous trials started in the 1692 spring following claims that a number of young girls were possessed and under devil’s attack. It happened in the Salem village of Massachusetts. Several women were accused of being involved in such crimes after the girls were found to be in such a problem. A lot of hysteria filled the atmosphere and the environments around and beyond in colonial Massachusetts and this prompted a special court to convene in the village to listen to the cases.
The first witch to be convicted was Bridget Bishop who was hanged as a punishment. Some other eighteen people were also hanged later as a hundred and fifty men, children and women received similar accusations for a number of months that followed. This hysteria started to abate by September 1692 and the public wish turned against the continuing trials. Even though the general court in Massachusetts later negated guilty verdicts against the witches who were accused and gave indemnities to the immediate families, there was a lot of bitterness that filled the air in and around the community and the painful legacy left by Salem witch trials would now last for centuries even to this day.
Thank you for helping me out with my college essay - I was totally stuck and your guides and manuals assisted me with my writing.
My college term paper was a mess. I had to revise it several times. Finally, I stumbled upon this resource and found a sample term essay that guided my writing.
I highly recommend this student blog to anyone in need of professional essay writing help. These guys have written my dissertation in several weeks and it was approved. Thank you!
Academic writing manuals:
- 10 tips on MLA formatting
- Transformation of the church essay sample
- Selecting a writing service
- What to expect from top-grade papers
- Writing your college homework
- Good rewriting services
- Essay sample on business
- Write a Thesis Statement
- How to deal with your assignments
- Critical response sample essay
- Personal statement for college
- Research topics on leadership
- Expert business writing help
- Who can deal with your essay
- Research papers for sale
- 5 best places to buy a paper
- Composing an effective summary in 5 steps
- Sample essay on credit crisis
- Purchasing papers for cheap
- Discussion Section
- How to stay safe purchasing papers
- Forms of Happiness - sample paper
- Essay on school uniforms hints
- Creating a case study
- Why a Dissertation Writing Process Is So Hard?
- Writing essay-style term papers
- How to find a good PhD dissertation example online
- How to optimize a case study content
- Term papers examples are available Online
- Creating a great research project
- Writing term papers: think like a professor
- Graphic design research topics
- Perfect customized essays sources
- Salem Witch Trials - sample essay
- Academic writing agencies
- Composing a great persuasive paper
- Writing an essay overnight
- Essay sample on post anesthesia care
- Choosing intriguing research topics
- Writing a cause and effect essay
- Seeking sample book reviews online
- Where to find art paper proposal samples