Writing A Research Paper Summary: Basic Tutorial For College Students
One small section of your research paper is the summary, and although it may seem insignificant, it really is an important part of your work. Unfortunately, many college students struggle with this section, so we’ve created a handy tutorial that will teach you exactly how to go about writing the summary for your research paper.
What is a research paper summary?
Before you start working, it’s important that you understand what the summary (also called a synopsis) of your work actually is, and why you need it. The synopsis of any academic work is basically a succinct explanation of what exactly the piece of writing is about.
When should you write it?
It may seem counterintuitive, but the best time to compose your synopsis is not before you do the rest of the essay. Instead, you should first complete your whole essay, and then write your synopsis right at the end. Don’t be tempted to compose it after you’ve done your research, but before you’ve done the rest of your work. This is because you may not use all your information or research, and your synopsis should not contain any new information, it should only refer to what’s already in the rest of your work.
What form should it take?
Just like any formal written piece, your summary needs to have a beginning, a middle and an end. The beginning needs to introduce the topic, the middle should be the actual synopsis, and the end should close the section, just like a conclusion.
What should be in it?
Your summary needs to contain the main ideas from the rest of your research report. So, a good way to start is to read through your work and list the main ideas. Make sure you stick to the actual crux of each point, or else your synopsis will be too long.
What else do you need to know?
There are two other points that you need to keep in mind when you compose your summary for your research paper. Firstly, the major characteristic of a synopsis is that it must be short, so keep it as brief as you can. If you go into too much detail, your reader may not read the rest of your work at all. Secondly, don’t use any concepts that need an explanation or definition, as this will make your synopsis too long.
Thank you for helping me out with my college essay - I was totally stuck and your guides and manuals assisted me with my writing.
My college term paper was a mess. I had to revise it several times. Finally, I stumbled upon this resource and found a sample term essay that guided my writing.
I highly recommend this student blog to anyone in need of professional essay writing help. These guys have written my dissertation in several weeks and it was approved. Thank you!
Academic writing manuals:
- 10 tips on MLA formatting
- Transformation of the church essay sample
- Selecting a writing service
- What to expect from top-grade papers
- Writing your college homework
- Good rewriting services
- Essay sample on business
- Write a Thesis Statement
- How to deal with your assignments
- Critical response sample essay
- Personal statement for college
- Research topics on leadership
- Expert business writing help
- Who can deal with your essay
- Research papers for sale
- 5 best places to buy a paper
- Composing an effective summary in 5 steps
- Sample essay on credit crisis
- Purchasing papers for cheap
- Discussion Section
- How to stay safe purchasing papers
- Forms of Happiness - sample paper
- Essay on school uniforms hints
- Creating a case study
- Why a Dissertation Writing Process Is So Hard?
- Writing essay-style term papers
- How to find a good PhD dissertation example online
- How to optimize a case study content
- Term papers examples are available Online
- Creating a great research project
- Writing term papers: think like a professor
- Graphic design research topics
- Perfect customized essays sources
- Salem Witch Trials - sample essay
- Academic writing agencies
- Composing a great persuasive paper
- Writing an essay overnight
- Essay sample on post anesthesia care
- Choosing intriguing research topics
- Writing a cause and effect essay
- Seeking sample book reviews online
- Where to find art paper proposal samples